Press "Enter" to skip to content

Posts published in “Day: April 6, 2017”

Sheldon FD breaks ground for new Station #2

SHELDON FIRE CHIEF SIDNEY WEBB presents a commemorative groundbreaking shovel to Paul Reed, son of Paul V. Reed, one of the founders of the modern fire department, and in whose honor the new training facility is named. The shovel has a picture of the new building printed on the blade.

SHELDON – Monday morning of this week, fire department officials, ESD board members, and the family of the major founder gathered on a construction site on the Old Beaumont Highway, just east of Sheldon Road and west of the Sheldon ISD agriculture barns.

Construction has started on a new fire station for the Sheldon Community Fire & Rescue, and will include a new station, offices for ESD#60 officials, and a training facility.

The building will be 15,000 square feet in size, and include 3 truck bays, 2 vehicles deep, so that a total of six vehicles can be accommodated. At first it is planned to house four pieces of equipment: a fire engine, a tanker, a brush truck, and a rescue squad. The project cost for the facility is about $10 million dollars, which is being furnished by ESD#60.

Fire Chief Sheldon Webb acting as emcee of the dedication ceremonies, and groundbreaking. He gave a short history of the department, tracing its origins to the Beaumont Fire Department started in 1955 by J. W. Perryman, and the Sheldon Fire Department, started by Paul V. Reed in 1965. In 1996 the two departments were merged. The new facility is named in recognition of Paul V. Reed, and members of his family, including his son Paul Reed, were on hand for the ceremony. (more…)