Galena Park, TX. – May 23, 2017 — After months of my writing news articles for the North Channel Star, I felt it was time for me to have a first-hand look at the community center. I felt I owed it to both the citizens and the city to take a photo tour even though I knew I’d be entering an environment which could be a health hazard. The explanations given to the citizens by the city needed to be verified or found to be over exaggerated and without merit.
I contacted Robert Collins the Galena Park City Attorney and asked if it was okay for me to take a photo tour of the center. After a few days Collins said I could contact the City Secretary Mayra Gonzales and she’d make the tour possible.
Tuesday morning May 23rd I called Gonzales and she said I could go take the tour. I went to the closed community center and was met by Commissioner Barry Ponder and Gustavo Mendez a recreation department employee.
We entered the facility and I immediately could smell a musty odor. The appearance of the inside looked like a typical remodeling job that was stopped in progress before completion.
I observed and photographed mold, termites, rotten supporting studs, dangerous electrical wiring in the breaker box, the broken emergency rear exit door to name a few things to make the place appear a very long ways from being used again.