Early in 1939,the Methodist Church decided to build a church in Channelview, Texas. The property that was selected by the charter members was 2 blocks north of Market Street. The Texas Annual Conference questioned if people would find the church that far off the main road. That location, now on Interstate 10, became the home of Old River
Terrace United Methodist Church. People did find the church and it has been a means of sharing God’s love and grace throughout its 75 year history.
The original wood frame church structure was built in 1939. In 1956, a new sanctuary and classroom buildings were constructed; however, soon after completion, the original structure burned to the ground. The new sanctuary and classrooms survived and, after numerous renovations due to storms and added structural integrity, still stand today.