HARRIS COUNTY, TX – Friday, March 22nd 2019– As a precaution, Harris County Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia is closing eight Precinct 2 parks with waterfronts in the Intercontinental Terminals Company (ITC) incident area. A number of school districts have also closed, as a precaution.
“After the news of the ITC dike breach earlier today, I decided to close some of our parks out of precaution because my main priority is keeping our residents safe,” Garcia said. “We want to ensure our parks are safe and able to function in the way our community expects and deserves. I want to give the EPA, TCEQ and others the time they need to continue their testing.”
The following Precinct 2 parks will be closed with all scheduled events cancelled until further notice:
• Bay Area Park in Houston (Bay Area Community Center is open)
• Clear Lake Park in Seabrook
• Sylvan Beach in La Porte
• Juan Seguin in La Porte
• Rio Villa Nature Trail
• Meadow Brook
• River Terrace
• Moncrief Park
The Lynchburg Ferry remains closed to the public.
LA PORTE: Seabreeze Park and Klein Retreat in La Porte will remain closed until further notice.
According to Harris County Public Health (HCPH), and based on current air monitoring reports, there continues to be a low health risk for the community.
HCPH operated three-day Mobile Health Clinics in the Deer Park area that had a tremendous community response. At this time, HCPH has not scheduled additional clinics.
If you do not have a health care provider, the Harris Health System’s Ask-My-Nurse helpline remains open today, from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., to help answer health questions. The number is 713-634-1110.
What you need to do:
• Listen to local officials for updates on the situation and for any actions you may need to take.
• Monitor local weather forecasts.
• If you do not feel well, contact your healthcare provider, or, if more serious, call 9-1-1.
Where you can learn more:
• Air Quality Data: ReadyHarris.org
• Health Information: Harris County Public Health
• Fixed Air Monitoring Sites: TCEQ